Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Gilbert Flores Shooting Investigation Now In DA's Hands; Second Video Won't Be Released

Posted By on Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 12:25 PM


The Bexar County District Attorney's Office announced late Tuesday afternoon that the sheriff's office turned over its investigation into two deputies who shot and killed Gilbert Flores on August 28.

The DA's office will review the evidence, which includes two videos: one that was published exclusively by KSAT 12 and another that hasn't publicly been seen.

In the video released by KSAT 12, Flores is seen with his hands up before being shot. He appears to be surrendering. Two anonymous law enforcement officials told the San Antonio Express-News that the second video shows Flores with a knife in his hand. Those sources also told the newspaper that Flores lunged at one of the deputies with knife, which was blocked with a plexiglass shield. 

The Sheriff's Office previously told media that efforts to subdue Flores, who was a threat to a woman and baby, included use of a Taser and a shield.

The deputies — Greg Vasquez and Robert Sanchez — are on leave.

  • Gilbert Flores

But don't expect any announcements any time soon about the outcome of the DA's review. Here's the statement DA Nico LaHood released today, including confirmation that the second video will be kept under wraps:

"We do not have an exact timeline for the completion of our review, but we will be working iligently on the case. We are still awaiting the results of expert forensic analysis from agencies working with the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office. This analysis and any follow-up investigation or analysis can take several months. In accordance with our normal practices, we have no plans to release the second video or any other evidence until the case is resolved."

Flores' family has hired an attorney.

San Antonians are still waiting on the outcome of another controversial officer-involved shooting that went to the DA's office as well.

In April, San Antonio Police Chief Anthony Treviño told the San Antonio Current that the SAPD completed its investigation into a police shooting that left 23-year-old Marquise Jones dead on February 28 in 2014 and turned it over to the DA's office.

Jones was shot and killed by Officer Robert Encina, who was off duty and working security, at Chacho's and Chalucci's while Encina was investigating a fender bender. The SAPD has said Jones pulled a gun on Encina, but an autopsy showed Jones was shot in the back. 

Jones' family has since sued.

  • Marquise Jones

The last high-profile officer-involved shooting in San Antonio to go to a grand jury was former University of Incarnate Word police officer Christopher Carter, who was not indicted, the DA announced in March.

Carter shot Cameron Redus five times in December 2013 in the parking lot of the The Treehouse Apartments after a traffic stop. He pulled Redus over for suspicion of drinking and driving. Carter said Redus took his baton, causing him to fear for his life.

Redus' family has since sued.

  • Cameron Redus

Tags: , , , , ,



Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.