Support Local Journalism, Join the SA Current Press Club.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

150-pound Pet Tortoise Starts House Fire on City's Northwest Side

Posted By on Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:04 AM

click to enlarge Photo via Flickr/ Majunznk

A fire broke out on the Northwest side just after midnight on Tuesday due to an unusual suspect — a 150 pound pet tortoise.

KSAT 12 reports that according to firefighters, the tortoise knocked over a heat lamp that was inside its outdoor cage, which started a fire that eventually spread to the neighbor's home. By the time firefighters were able to put it out, the fire had moved into the walls and attic of the tortoise owner's home, causing about $150,000 in damage. Yikes.



Fortunately, the tortoise, and everyone else, are fine.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the San Antonio Current Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the San Antonio Press Club for as little as $5 a month.

Read the Digital Print Issue

July 28, 2021

View more issues

Newsletters

Join SA Current Newsletters

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Calendar

© 2021 San Antonio Current

Website powered by Foundation