Tuesday, January 10, 2017

150-pound Pet Tortoise Starts House Fire on City's Northwest Side

Posted By on Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:04 AM

click to enlarge Photo via Flickr/ Majunznk

A fire broke out on the Northwest side just after midnight on Tuesday due to an unusual suspect — a 150 pound pet tortoise.

KSAT 12 reports that according to firefighters, the tortoise knocked over a heat lamp that was inside its outdoor cage, which started a fire that eventually spread to the neighbor's home. By the time firefighters were able to put it out, the fire had moved into the walls and attic of the tortoise owner's home, causing about $150,000 in damage. Yikes.

Fortunately, the tortoise, and everyone else, are fine.



Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.