Vote Today In The 2020 Best Of San Antonio® Readers' Choice Poll!

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Eastside Man Dies in Accidental House Fire

Posted By on Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 4:01 PM

SAFD
  • SAFD
A 75-year-old Eastside man died Tuesday morning in a house fire that officials are calling "accidental in nature."

According to Woody Woodward, spokesman for the San Antonio Fire Department, investigators believe the man died after trying to use his stove to warm up the house — that, or trying to extinguish a toaster fire.



Neighbors noticed smoke coming from the Jefferson Heights home shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday. One neighbor managed to break through the man's burglar bars to get inside the house and try to pull the "smoldering" man out. But the fire was too large, Woodward said, and the man appeared to have died from third-degree burns before the neighbor could extinguish his body.

There were no other people inside the house during the fire. In total, SAFD estimates $25,000 in total damages.

Tags: , , , , , ,

San Antonio Current works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of San Antonio and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep San Antonio's true free press free.

Read the Digital Print Issue

Jul 1, 2020

View more issues

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Calendar

© 2020 San Antonio Current

Website powered by Foundation