A conceptual image shows the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine ready to be administered for injection. Credit: Shutterstock / felipe caparros

Boerne city officials have confirmed a case of measles in the northern San Antonio suburb.

Health officials were made aware of the case Feb. 12, according to a statement from the City of Boerne. However, officials said they believe the case is “isolated in nature” and “linked to out-of-state travel.” The sick person was exposed in neighboring Bandera County, they added.

Boerne city officials said they’re working with the Texas Department of State Health Services, local emergency management teams and healthcare providers to mitigate spread of the highly contagious disease.

Measles, which spreads by airborne viral infection, was declared eliminated in the U.S. in 2000. However, coinciding with a rise in vaccine skepticism, cases have reached their highest level in more than two decades. Since January of 2025, there have been 2,671 confirmed cases in 44 states, largely among children.

Measles symptoms include fever, cough, runny nose and a blotchy rash. Those with symptoms should seek medical care immediately since the disease can have life-long complications such as permanent hearing loss or brain damage, according to medical experts.

The discovery of the Boerne case comes weeks after a pair of measles cases were reported at the migrant detention center in Dilley, southwest of San Antonio. It also follows one of the worst such outbreaks in recent U.S. history, during which more than 700 people were infected in Texas last year. Two children died during that outbreak.


Sign Up for SA Current newsletters.

Follow us: Apple News | Google News | NewsBreak | Reddit | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Or sign up for our RSS Feed


Michael Karlis is a multimedia journalist at the San Antonio Current, whose coverage in print and on social media focuses on local and state politics. He is a graduate of American University in Washington,...