San Antonio Mayor Gina Ortiz Jones has said she thinks San Antonio could get a better deal out of the Spurs when it comes to a new arena. Credit: Public Domain / Andy Morataya

A New Braunfels man was arrested Friday on charges he made a bomb threat against the office of San Antonio mayor Gina Ortiz Jones.

According to multiple media reports, Kendall Durand, 44, left a voicemail at the mayor’s office just before 7 p.m. Thursday saying, “I will have the Mexican drug cartel plant a bomb in your office if you don’t clear the food in the area.”

San Antonio Police Department traced the number back to Durand’s home near Canyon Lake before he was arrested, KSAT reports. Durand is also accused of making similar statements at a veterinary hospital the day before.

The phone numbers for the threatening voicemails matched, leading to an arrest by the New Braunfels Police Department.

Durand faces a charge of making a terroristic threat. He was arrested in Comal County and taken to the Comal County jail.

“Political violence has no place in our city,” the mayor told KSAT.

Jones has faced other threats since taking office a year ago. Just last month, the Bexar County District Attorney dropped charges against a San Antonio man who allegedly said “we need to kill the mayor” in an online post about her opposition Project Marvel.

In February, Ignacio Zuniga III, 44, allegedly tweeted that people should be “hunting” Democrats, including “Mayor GOJ.”

​Due to the threats against Jones, she now wears a ballistic vest and has an overnight security detail provided by the San Antonio Police Department.


Sign Up for SA Current newsletters.

Follow us: Apple News | Google News | NewsBreak | Reddit | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Or sign up for our RSS Feed


Stephanie Koithan is the Digital Content Editor of the San Antonio Current. In her role, she writes about politics, music, art, culture and food. Send her a tip at skoithan@sacurrent.com.