
Mayor Gina Ortiz Jones declined to answer reporters’ questions Thursday about her purported blowup with Councilwoman Sukh Kaur as City Council prepares to discuss whether to move ahead with a vote to censure the mayor over the exchange.
“I am committed to working with my colleagues in the interest of the city,” Jones said after a town hall meeting. “Always have been, always will be. So, I think if we stay focused on the issues and the results, then we will do the best for our city.”
The town hall, which Jones held alongside District 2 Councilman Jalen McKee-Rodriguez, comes days before council is set to discuss the findings of an investigation into Jones’ comments to Kaur. The discussion is set for a special executive session on Monday.
Jones told the Current she won’t attend the executive session.
Although the rest of council is set to discuss the matter behind closed doors, no censure vote has been scheduled as of press time.
Earlier this month, Kaur filed a complaint alleging Jones violated the council’s code of conduct. The complaint stemmed from a heated discussion between the pair about fire code violations at downtown LGBTQ+ nightclub the Bonham Exchange.
Although the conversation between Jones and Kaur took place out of public view, Kaur didn’t return to the dias afterward and left council chambers visibly upset.
The five other women on council — Phyllis Viagran, Teri Castillo, Marina Alderete Gavito, Ivalis Meza Gonzalez and Misty Spears — later filed a memo requesting a meeting to discuss censuring Jones following an investigation into the exchange.
A vote to censure the mayor would not strip her of any power or levy financial penalties. Instead, the largely symbolic procedure is used to signal that a majority on council disapproves of a member’s actions.
Sign Up for SA Current newsletters.
Follow us: Apple News | Google News | NewsBreak | Reddit | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Or sign up for our RSS Feed
