The 1929 Terrell Hills house previously owned by the late ceramic artist and art educator Nancy Pawel has all the charm of a Tudor-style home on the outside. However, a recent reno by interior designers brought ultra-modern touches and amenities to the property, recently listed for $3.5 million.
The home was designed by John Hagy, one San Antonio's most sought-out builders during the first half of the last century. His high-end work dots not just Terrell Hills but Monte Vista and Alamo Heights.
This particular Hagy creation includes five bathrooms and four and a half baths, along with a casita next to a pool, spa and fountains. The house's recent restoration includes a large kitchen with new top-of-the-line appliances. There also is a hidden walk-in pantry, and a cozy wine and bourbon bar with its own icemaker and a special chilling refrigerator.
Even with all the new touches and white interiors, there are still signs inside of the century-old bones of the house including refinished hardwood floors, plaster walls true to the period, arched doorways and fireplaces.
Pawel owned the house until her death in 1921. The widow of Tom Pawel, with whom she co-founded Concord Oil, Nancy Pawel was a chemist and Bostonian who became fascinated with stoneware and glazing after moving to San Antonio and mentored numerous students at the University of Incarnate Word for 32 years in her basement studio dubbed the “Pot Shop,” according to her obituary.
In addition to Pawel's local and international art achievements, she and her husband donated 1,500 acres in western Bexar County in 1986 as the home of the Texas Research Park and Texas Research and Technology Foundation.
This home is listed by Janet Heydenreich
with Phyllis Browning Co.
All photos and listing info via Realtor.com