San Antonio man dies after setting off firework on top of his head

The rocket exploded from the bottom of the tube, opening up the man's cranium.

The man died after the bottle rocket exploded from the bottom of the tube, impacting his skull. - Shutterstock
Shutterstock
The man died after the bottle rocket exploded from the bottom of the tube, impacting his skull.
A San Antonio man is dead after lighting a mortar-type firework from the top of his skull, the Express-News reports, citing police information.

Pablo Ruiz, 43, was drinking with pals at a house in the 800 block of Harriman Place just after midnight on July 5 when he tried to launch the explosive from an unusual spot: the top of his noggin, according to the Express-News.

Unfortunately, the rocket exploded from the bottom of the tube, opening up Ruiz’s cranium, the daily reports. Paramedics were called to the Southwest San Antonio home, but Ruiz was unresponsive and pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.

Fireworks remain illegal within San Antonio city limits, and violators can face fines of up to $2,000.

Stay on top of San Antonio news and views. Sign up for our Weekly Headlines Newsletter.
Scroll to read more San Antonio News articles
Join the San Antonio Current Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state.
Help us keep this coverage going with a one-time donation or an ongoing membership pledge.

Newsletters

Join SA Current Newsletters

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.